Sports FAQ
Home / Bike Health

another low back pain question

jessmarimba2011-09-14 05:25:12 +0000 #1
This makes sense to me, but I can't seem to google the right phrase, or something.

So my back healed with a 20 degree kyphosis in the thoracic area - where the hardware is. It seems like the added bend in my upper back is increasing the pressure (and maybe bending) in my low back - possibly causing hyperlordosis? I can't wear any shoes but flats. Walking and sitting can be pretty painful in my lower back (though running and biking are wonderfully fine!) and I've felt like what seems to be twinges of sciatica - something is radiating down my left leg. Is this a logical conclusion of what's going on?

I can't afford another trip to my surgeon right now, and I don't have any other doctor. I don't even know what sort of doctor I'd see for this sort of same neurosurgeon, or someone else, or someone who specializes in pain management, or what. Advice? I'm not interested in trying a chiropractor at the moment - I've had too many bad experiences with ones who try to "pop" my back in the fusion area.

KnottedYet2011-09-14 05:32:27 +0000 #2

How far away is Grand Junction? Could you see Stephan Dine? Dine is a Diplomate in Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy. A Dip is pretty much as high a qualification as a PT can get in MDT.

I would suggest someone versed in MDT (McKenzie) for what you are going through. If there is a lumbar disc bulging out and pressing on a nerve root, you really want someone to teach you how to nudge that disc back into place yourself. You also want someone who will teach you how to accommodate the the healed-down kyphosis with some new posture habits.
jessmarimba2011-09-14 06:14:21 +0000 #3
Thanks Knot. Grand Junction is 3.5-4 hours away but I know what to look for now, anyway.

This whole experience has shown me how partitioned health care is here. "Oh, well I fixed the fracture, so I'm done now, you're better!" attitude.



Other posts in this category