Sports FAQ
Home / Bike Maintenance

What is this thing?

Aggie_Ama2010-04-28 16:25:53 +0000 #1
On my mountain bike there is a circle on top of the headset. It screws down, mine says Scott but I want a purple one. Can I replace just this piece or it it part of the headset? I keep bruising myself on it from dismounting improperly, I want a bruise colored one to go with my purple lock on grips I am ordering. lol.

I can take a picture tonight if that was as clear as mud.
Becky2010-04-28 16:36:46 +0000 #2
I don't know the real name for it- I just call it a headset cap. Yep, you can replace it. My MTB has one that says "Pedal faster, fool!"

Check on Ebay for all sorts of interesting caps.
Aggie_Ama2010-04-28 16:45:38 +0000 #3
Sweet. I wish I could get a purple one that says "OUCH!". That would be funny. Off to check out what I can find to customize Tess. She is a cheap Craiglist find and I really want to make her a little more fun looking.
SadieKate2010-04-28 16:47:58 +0000 #4
snapdragen2010-04-28 18:05:52 +0000 #5

Originally Posted by SadieKate

Give this link to Santa.

A friend of mine had an "Easy" Button made for his Big Leg Emma through them.
SadieKate2010-04-28 17:25:53 +0000 #6
Maybe I need "I think I can, I think I can."
Pedal Wench2010-04-28 19:00:37 +0000 #7

Originally Posted by SadieKate

Give this link to Santa.

My DBF gave me a few of these for my birthday - colors and quotes to match some of my bikes. They're really nicely done, and the company was great to work with. My problem is finding compression plugs that these headset caps work with. I took apart my Bianchi 928 and haven't been able to get the compression plug to 'take' yet...



Other posts in this category