Sports FAQ
Home / Bike Maintenance

Convert from downtube shifting?

smurfalicious2010-04-28 22:47:56 +0000 #1
Is it possible? I just picked up some vintage steel and since I'm already squirrelly as hell on a road bike I was wondering if I could put um real shifters on it. Full well plan on upgrading the bike anyway, because I *heart* steel but I think this needs to be the first step because looking down, and letting go, is bad news for me!!!
KnottedYet2010-04-28 22:55:30 +0000 #2

You can buy kits that turn your downtube shifter attachments to guides for the cables instead, and from there on you can treat the system like any other and use whatever shifter style you want.

(one of my bikes is like that, and has bar end shifters. If I wasn't too lazy to get off my buns, I'd take a pic of the shifter/guide conversion and post it.)

Edit to add: this is it. $14. Riv isn't the only one to sell 'em, they just have the best picture:
Becky2010-04-28 23:35:20 +0000 #3
Ditto what Knot said. Ask your LBS for downtube cable stops. Sometimes they even come with the new set of STI shifters. I think that the last pair of Ultegra shifters I bought included 2 stops in the box (as well as cables and housing!). The LBS should know or be able to find out if they're included...

Pics of the new ride, please? I luv vintage steel



Other posts in this category