Sports FAQ
Home / Bike Maintenance

Removing Isis Cranks

MDHillSlug2010-04-29 01:20:31 +0000 #1
I want to switch out the cranks on my commuter bike. The bottom bracket has an Isis linkage. I remove the central bolt on the cranks but the arms won't come off. Is there any trick I can use to get them off short of buying a crank puller?
Flybye2010-04-29 01:34:22 +0000 #2
Quote:

Originally Posted by MDHillSlug

I want to switch out the cranks on my commuter bike. The bottom bracket has an Isis linkage. I remove the central bolt on the cranks but the arms won't come off. Is there any trick I can use to get them off short of buying a crank puller?

The only help that I can give it to remember that they both unscrew to the back of the bike - no lefty loosie, rightie tightie!
DebW2010-04-29 01:39:46 +0000 #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybye

The only help that I can give it to remember that they both unscrew to the back of the bike - no lefty loosie, rightie tightie!

Crank bolts are all right handed, to the best of my knowledge (not that I've worked on every brand, though ...). Maybe you are thinking of pedals, Flybye.

MDHillSlug, you'll need a crank puller. Shouldn't cost more than $15, but get the one for splined crank arms, not square-tapered crank arms.
Flybye2010-04-29 02:43:16 +0000 #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DebW

Crank bolts are all right handed, to the best of my knowledge (not that I've worked on every brand, though ...). Maybe you are thinking of pedals, Flybye.

MDHillSlug, you'll need a crank puller. Shouldn't cost more than $15, but get the one for splined crank arms, not square-tapered crank arms.

My bad = you are right. Wups!
MDHillSlug2010-04-29 02:26:12 +0000 #5
I bought a crank puller and got the cranks off only to discover that the replacement cranks don't fit. Apparently there's more than one size Isis link?!?

Reply

Name:
Content:


Other posts in this category