Sports FAQ
Home / Europe Football

I will break hearts, says Lippi

snakies2010-05-04 06:32:53 +0000 #1
Italy boss Marcello Lippi has conceded that he will disappoint a number of players when he names his World Cup squad. “I can’t pick 60,” he said.

The Azzurri tactician has less than 100 days to finalise his plans for this summer’s German assault, but today admitted that he won’t be able to please everyone.

“I am happy that I have the full disposal of a lot of Italian players for the World Cup,” said the former Juventus maestro.

“I just hope that when the times comes for me to compile my list there is the realisation that I can only take 23 players and not 60 with me.

“I still haven’t made up a definite list of players for the Finals because I will evaluate a lot of things between now and May.”

Lippi already received flack only last week when his decision to call-up Christian Vieri wasn’t entirely welcomed by some sections of the Italian Press.

Especially as the tactician, who also picked Vincenzo Iaquinta, omitted in-form players such as Livorno’s Cristiano Lucarelli and Milan’s Pippo Inzaghi.

There was also no room for Antonio Cassano of Real Madrid despite the absence of the injured Francesco Totti.

Nevertheless, the Azzurri will head north in the summer with the renewed hope of their fans after Wednesday’s 4-1 win over Germany.

“It was our objective to re-inject the Italian public with passion for the side, especially as there was a distinct lack of love for us in the past,” added Lippi.

“The Italian players love the national team and now we have the performances to back that claim up.”



Reply

Name:
Content:


Other posts in this category