Sports FAQ
Home / Europe Football

Bayer Leverkusen Offical Thread

Lance Knight2010-05-09 23:37:16 +0000 #1
Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Liverpool 3-1 Bayer Leverkusen


Liverpool will travel to Bayer Leverkusen in a fortnight with a nagging fear their outstanding performance at Anfield might not secure a Champions League quarter-final spot - even though they won 3-1.

They were two ahead at the break through Luis Garcia and John Arne Riise and grabbed what they thought was a precious third in injury time thanks to a Dietmar Hamann free-kick.

But with seconds left Franca punished a Jerzy Dudek fumble and the German side had their away goal, knowing that a 2-0 win in the second leg will see them grab a place in the last eight of the competition.

But this was still a remarkable display by Liverpool, who found their erratic form at just the right time despite being forced to play without a host of influential regulars because of injury, suspension or ineligibility.

Stripped of so many front-line players, including suspended skipper Steven Gerrard, Rafael Benitez's side virtually picked itself with Harry Kewell returning after a two month injury lay-off.

Igor Biscan took over from Gerrard with Luis Garcia also back from a domestic suspension.

Hamann had the chance to take the lead in midfield in Gerrard's absence, no doubt inspired at being given a chance to take on his countrymen.

And he started in fine style, winning possession and driving forward. He had one edge of the box shot deflected wide while stand-in skipper Sami Hyypia had a cross punched off his head by visiting keeper Jorg Butt.

But Leverkusen withstood Liverpool's opening burst with confidence and control, and then carved out an excellent chance. Paul Freier forced his way in from the right before setting up Robson Ponte 12 yards out. But the Brazilian lifted his shot over the bar.

The German club's attacking strength was underlined when Dimitar Berbatov fired in a fierce 25 yarder from the left corner of the box and Jerzy Dudek palmed it away with some difficulty. Another 20 yarder flashed wide of a post from the tall Bulgarian.

But, on 15 minutes, the unlikely figure of Biscan cut open the visitor's defence after going past two tackles and sliding a ball into space for Luis Garcia to collect and clip expertly past Butt to send Anfield wild.

Liverpool immediately had an amazing let-off when Steve Finnan's weak header hit Hyypia and dropped perfectly for Berbatov to sprint clear on his own. Dudek advanced but knew he had little chance, only to stand and watch the striker's shot roll wide of a post.

Just as Leverkusen gained confidence they were hit by Liverpool's second. Kewell was fouled way out on the right by Diego Placente, and Riise stepped up curl a cracker from 30 yards into the bottom corner leaving Butt sprawling and his wall well beaten.

Ponte was rather unlucky to be booked for kicking the ball back at a fallen Riise, Bernd Schneider having committed the original foul. The caution puts Ponte out of the second leg.

Freier was booked early in the second half for a foul on Traore, and he will also miss the second leg, while Dudek was also cautioned for time wasting.

Baros missed a glorious chance of a third when Riise's run took him cleverly into the box. His square pass was controlled by the unmarked Czech Republic international, but his shot was lifted over the bar.

Hamann was next into the book for a foul on Freier before Voronin lifted a shot over the bar on the hour after Bayer's best passing move of the match.

Liverpool then wasted two more great chances of a third. Riise put Baros clear in the box, but his 12 yard shot clipped Butt's leg and rolled wide. From the corner, Jamie Carragher hit a point-blank effort that Butt somehow pushed away.

Then it was Dudek's turn to be a hero. First he palmed out a Freier 20-yard drive before tipping over Schneider's pile driver from 30 yards.

But the tension lasted right into injury time. First Hamann gave Liverpool a three-goal cushion when he curled in a 20-yard free kick for a foul on Anthony Le Tallec.

But their was still time for the Germans to get their own lifeline when Franca scored with seconds to go, Berbatov's shot being fumbled by Dudek for the Brazilian to punish the error, which could be very costly in the BayArena in a fortnight.

Lance Knight2010-05-09 23:40:04 +0000 #2
Saturday, March 12, 2005

Bayer Leverkusen 3-3 Hertha Berlin: FT Report


LEVERKUSEN, March 12 (Bundesliga) - Bayer Leverkusen appeared to be suffering the repercussions of their Champions League exit after being held to a draw by 10-man Hertha Berlin on Saturday.

Just days after their European loss to Liverpool, Klaus Augenthaler's men struggled to get the better of a Hertha Berlin side who played 80 minutes with one less player after Dick van Burik's early red card.

Despite a bright start in which they took a two-goal lead through Robson Ponte and a Hans-Jorg Butt penalty, Leverkusen were unable to defend their lead even after Van Burik's dismissal for conceding the spot-kick.

Marcelinho was a thorn in the side of Bayer and his double before the break hauled Berlin level before Andreas Neuendorf's strike on the hour put Falko Gotz's side ahead for the first time in the game.

Andrei Voronin finally earned a point for the hosts five minutes from time, but it was too little too late for Bayer, who left the field with their final objective of the season - third place and qualification for the Champions League - hanging by a thread.

Bayer looked keen to wipe away memories of their midweek elimination from the Champions League and raced into a two-goal lead.

Ponte gave Klaus Augenthaler's side the start they had been dreaming of on when he put the home side ahead after just five minutes with a solo run which culminated in a driven shot into the bottom corner.

Niko Kovac lost the ball to Paul Freier in midfield and Ponte picked up the ball on the halfway line and drove towards Christian Fiedler's goal before pulling the trigger from 20 yards out.

Berlin appeared to be out of the game five minutes later when Van Burik was given his marching orders and Leverkusen goalkeeper-turned-penalty-taker Butt took the chance to double the advantage.

Van Burik took Voronin's back leg away from him and the referee pointed to the spot before taking the red card from his pocket.

Butt put the spot-kick away for his second goal of the season, but 10-man Berlin were far from beaten and hit back with a brace from Marcelinho.

The Brazilian striker beat the offside trap and then wrong-footed inexperienced Bayer defender Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker before sweeping his shot past Butt in the 24th minute.

Berlin were level five minutes later and again it was Marcelinho who benefited from a defensive mix-up to fire in from 20 yards.

Diego Placente and Sascha Dum got in each other's way while trying to defend a Fiedler punt forward, and Marcelinho welcomed possession on the halfway line before making a beeline for Butt's goal and placing his shot firmly into the corner.

Berlin continued to press despite their numerical disadvantage and Marcelinho almost completed his hat-trick 10 minutes before the break with a direct free-kick which curled inches past the post.

The visitors were ahead on the hour mark though as they continued to dictate the game against a disorganised Leverkusen. Neuendorf placed his left-footed shot comfortably past Butt after being threaded through by Thorben Marx.

Yet despite their midweek exertions, Leverkusen had saved up enough energy for the final 10 minutes as they drew level through Voronin.

In a rare scurry forward, Bernd Schneider got to the goalline and pulled the ball back to the feet of Voronin, who diverted his shot into the far corner of Fiedler's goal.

But it may not be enough for Augenthaler's side, who now face an uphill task to overhaul Berlin, Hamburg, Stuttgart and Werder Bremen to claim a place in the Champions League next season.
Lance Knight2010-05-09 23:51:40 +0000 #3
Saturday, March 19, 2005

Bayer Leverkusen 2-0 Kaiserslautern: FT Report


LEVERKUSEN, March 19 (Bundesliga) - Bayer Leverkusen kept their charge for European football on track with an ultimately comfortable victory over Kaiserslautern at the BayArena.

A first-half strike from defender Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker followed up by Andrej Voronin's goal a minute into the second period ensured the points would stay with the home side.

Leverkusen are on 43 points - four adrift of third placed Werder Bremen who occupy the final Champions League qualifying place with eight games remaining.

If they failed to reach the top club competition, Leverkusen have an excellent chance to secure a UEFA Cup place.

Leverkusen keeper Jorg Butt was first brought into action as Halil Altintop's shot from inside the penalty area brought a good save out of the keeper in the eighth minute.

In the next action of note, the home side took the lead 13 minutes in. Callsen-Bracker and Kaiserslautern defender Timo Wenzel fought over the ball and after the former gained possession he crashed the ball home from distance.

The visitors pressed in search of an equaliser but they found Butt in great form in the Leverkusen goal.

First, he denied Altintop again on the quarter hour before saving a shot from long-range by Thomas Riedl in the 27th minute.

Kaiserslautern had been fighting back but it was Leverkusen who extended their lead early in the second half.

Bernd Schneider played the ball to Voronin whose shot from the centre of the penalty area left Thomas Ernst with no chance in the visitors goal.

Robson Ponte was proving a lively presence for the home side and after threatening the goal in the 54th minute he fired in a long-range rocket with 15 minutes remaining which Ernst managed to handle with some difficulty.

Top scorer Dimitar Berbatov had a late chance to make the scoreline more emphatic for the hosts but his 84th minute header was well saved by Ernst
Lance Knight2010-05-10 00:37:26 +0000 #4
leverkusen loses, and falls behind

Saturday, April 2, 2005

Arminia Bielefeld 1-0 Bayer Leverkusen: FT Report


BIELEFELD, April 2 (Bundesliga) - Arminia Bielefeld snapped their three-game losing streak with a narrow victory over Bayer Leverkusen.

Radomir Djalovic opened his Bundesliga scoring account in the 66th minute after some good work from halftime substitute Ervin Skela.

Leverkusen never looked like the ambitious team that reached the knock-out stages of the Champions League earlier this month and chalked up a deserved defeat.

The opening 45 minutes brought meagre goalmouth action, with Arminia unable to replace German international Patrick Owomoyela (knee) and hard-working striker Fatmir Vata (broken nose).

The visitors had little to offer themselves and it was a bicycle kick from Andrej Voronin that marked the sole highlight of an otherwise slow-paced first half.

Robson Ponte had delivered a corner but Voronin's acrobatic effort landed on top of the bar after 13 minutes.

A Petr Gabriel header from a Massimiliano Porcello free-kick after 34 minutes was as close as Bielefeld got to Leverkusen's goal.

The half-time introduction of Albanian international Skela helped Arminia gain impetus.

Defender Gabriel showed limited offensive skills when he shot over from promising position after a Detlev Dammeier corner in the 54th minute while Delron Buckley headed over from six yards out 10 minutes later.

After Leverkusen's Dimitar Berbatov sent a header just wide, Arminia eventually broke the deadlock in the 66th minute when Skela darted into the attacking third.

He beat Juan and fired a pin-point cross to Djalovic, whose spectacular left-footed first-time effort found the back of the net from the central position.

Bielefeld kept pressing and missed two glorious chances in quick succession.

Roberto Pinto fed Buckley with low cross from inside the penalty area but the South African's running shot whistled over the top bar in the 75th.

Three minutes later, a Dammeier corner was met by substitute Klodian Duro at the far post.

The Albanian international neatly shook off two defenders only to fire his effort well over the goal.

Berbatov almost made the hosts pay in the 82nd minute.

Paul Freier swung a beautiful midfield cross to the center of the box but Berbatov4s running volley was superbly parried by Mathias Hain.

And when the keeper parried a Bernd Schneider drive in stoppage time, Arminia had secured three more points in their hunt for a place in the Intertoto Cup.
go!ua2010-05-10 00:23:21 +0000 #5
Vorona was tired after match with Denmark, that`s why Bayer lost
Lance Knight2010-05-10 00:43:25 +0000 #6
Saturday, April 9, 2005

Bayer Leverkusen 0-1 Borussia Dortmund: FT Report


LEVERKUSEN, April 9 (Bundesliga) - Sebastian Kehl clinched a vital win for Borussia Dortmund with a goal two minutes from time against Bayer Leverkusen at the BayArena.

The win leaves Bert van Marwijk's side two points behind Leverkusen and in with a real chance now of clawing their way back into contention for a spot in the UEFA Cup for next season.

In a first half with few chances, neither side showed the ambition needed to go ahead and the scoreline was rightly 0-0 at the break.

But of the chances there were, Leverkusen had the best.

Their first sight on goal came after 12 minutes when midfielder Jacek Krzynowek went past Dortmund defender Christoph Metzelder but on approaching the area he struck his shot over the bar.

Krzynowek again went close on the half-hour mark but his free-kick from the edge of the area went inches wide of the right post.

Good defending from midfielder Kehl prevented Leverkusen striker Andrej Voronin from scoring six minutes later after he blocked his shot when keeper Roman Weidenfeller looked beaten.

After the break Dortmund took control of proceedings and eight minutes in Salvatore Gambino went close only to see his shot cleared away at the last minute by Leverkusen defender Silveira Juan.

Weidenfeller saved easily from Voronin just after the hour mark before Dimitar Berbatov hit a stinging shot from all of 30 yards that would have opened the scoring had it not been struck straight at the Dortmund number one.

But the visitors made the most of their domination in possession in the second half and broke the hearts of the Bayer fans by clinching the three points right at the death.

After Leverkusen midfielder Gonzalo Castro lost possession to Ebi Smolarek, the ball was played through to Kehl who coolly finished past keeper Jorg Butt who had no chance with the effort.

Dortmund will be thanking their luck after this win, following an uninspiring 90-minutes in which neither side ever looked like creating the fireworks that would have put the game to bed a lot earlier.
Lance Knight2010-05-10 02:27:46 +0000 #7
Saturday, April 16, 2005

SC Freiburg 1-3 Bayer Leverkusen: FT Report


FREIBURG, April 16 (Bundesliga) - Bayer Leverkusen returned to winning ways at the expense of bottom club Freiburg as they took three points away from the Dreisamstadion.

Bernd Schneider opened the visitors account in the 25th minute before Alexander Iashvili levelled for Freiburg before the break.

But the hosts could not hold on for a point as Dimitar Berbatov found the back of the net twice in the second half.

Schneider broke the deadlock for Leverkusen after he got through the defence before shooting from 20 yards out.

Freiburg's equaliser came just 12 minutes later when Soumaila Coulibaly crossed the ball from the right wing to find Samuel Koejoe in the area.

Koejoe then found Iashvili well placed to coolly slot the ball home from five yards.

In the 66th minute Berbatov gifted Leverkusen the lead once again after he broke through the defence and found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper before he fired home with an accurate shot from 12 yards out.

In the 81st minute Berbatov added his second and compounded Freiburg's misery further after Andriy Voronin found Berbatov in the area to score from seven yards.

Freiburg's only real chance of the second half had come in the 73rd minute when substitute Levan Tskitishvili shot from 12 yards out, but goalkeeper Jorg Butt safely held onto the ball.

The result sees Freiburg remain rooted to the bottom of the Bundesliga as they lie 13 points adrift of top flight safety.

With just five games remaining this campaign it looks increasingly certain that they are destined for the German second division next season.

Leverkusen are now just four points away from a UEFA Cup spot after notching up their first win in three games.
Lance Knight2010-05-10 03:08:18 +0000 #8
Sunday, April 24, 2005

Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 Werder Bremen: FT Report


LEVERKUSEN, April 24 (Bundesliga) - Bayer Leverkusen stepped up their bid for a place in next season's UEFA Cup by beating defending Bundesliga champions Werder Bremen at the BayArena on Sunday afternoon.

Bayern Munich's defeat of Arminia Bielefeld in the DFB Pokal semi-final in midweek meant that sixth-place in the Bundesliga would be enough to qualify for Europe's second tier competition.

And Leverkusen moved to within a point of sixth with this win.

Klaus Augenthaler's men started well and went in front after just three minutes through Jacek Krzynowek.

Marko Babic made it 2-0 after 37 minutes and although Miroslav Klose pulled one back almost immediately, Leverkusen hung on to secure their 14th win of the season.

Bremen have struggled to live up to last season's achievements although a win in Leverkusen would have kept alive their hopes of qualifying for the Champions League.

But the visitors could have hardly made a worse start as they gifted Leverkusen an early lead.

Paul Stalteri played an awful back pass which was intercepted by Dimitar Berbatov. The Bulgarian showed commendable composure to pick out Krzynowek and he tapped into the empty net.

Berbatov was proving a handful for the Bremen defence and only a fine save from Andreas Reinke prevented the home side from moving 2-0 ahead after 19 minutes.

It was a shortlived reprieve for Bremen though as Leverkusen added to their lead with their next meaningful forward sortie.

A quick counter-attack led to Gonzalo Castro playing in Babic and he made no mistake with a crisp finish.

Bremen hit back within 60 seconds, however, when Umit Davala's cross was not cleared by Roque Junior and Klose beat keeper Jorg Butt to the loose ball to head into the empty net.

Leverkusen were wobbling and Klose missed a wonderful chance to equalise four minutes before half-time, the Germany striker scuffing his close-range shot after a fine cross from Ivan Klasnic.

Bremen were finally coming to life after seemingly suffering a hangover from their midweek penalty shoot-out DFB Pokal defeat to Schalke.

And only a wonderful save from Butt to keep out Klose's volley kept Leverkusen's lead intact.

Butt also saved well from Klasnic and Tim Borowski, the latter chance coming in the final minute.



Other posts in this category