Sports FAQ
Home / Grappling

Just had first BJJ training session!

spasgur2011-08-09 05:21:52 +0000 #1
Hey guys!

Today I pulled myself together and went to the local BJJ and MMA gym and trained for the first time. All I can say is: HOLY SH1T!

I've never sweat like that in my life, I was completely soaked. It was tough as hell but also insanely funny. I'm definitely going again.

The techniques we trained were focused on transition from half guard to side control and then we ended the session with some light sparring, you got a win but getting a point or a submission.I lost all "fights" (except once where I took the back of a fat girl lol) and got subbed twice, once by armbar and once by americana. Twice I almost got a sweep and once almost a triangle.

So, any other BJJ newbies here? Share your first training session experience and your impression of it here.

And to the more experience guys: any tips on cardio training, techniques, tricks, rules of thumb etc?
Wahoo082011-08-09 05:36:47 +0000 #2
I've haven't taken any BJJ classes (really hoping to soon), but I did take my first Judo class a few months ago. That excitement/adrenaline boost after my first class is still fresh in mind. . And to think of those wasted hours spent on the treadmill when you can get an even better work out and have much more fun throwing around a fellow Judoka/BJJer.....
BulldogWrestler2011-08-09 05:27:16 +0000 #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by spasgur

And to the more experience guys: any tips on cardio training, techniques, tricks, rules of thumb etc?

Grapple, grapple, grapple.

Put youself in bed positions and stay calm while you get your ass kicked. It'll give the experience necessary to remain calm in competitions when you get stuck, and even remain calm when you're winning/dominating but unable to finish. Meditation.

Learn a move and drill it until it's embedded in your head. Then, spar with your eyes shut and see if you're able to "feel" your way into that move.

Forget about "winning" while you spar. There are no winners, and are no losers. It's not a competition and the only goal you have is to get better. So don't worry about "beating" the other guy, focus on your technique.

There's lots more, but hopefully that helps.
spasgur2011-08-09 06:16:57 +0000 #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wahoo08

I've haven't taken any BJJ classes (really hoping to soon), but I did take my first Judo class a few months ago. That excitement/adrenaline boost after my first class is still fresh in mind. . And to think of those wasted hours spent on the treadmill when you can get an even better work out and have much more fun throwing around a fellow Judoka/BJJer.....

Yeah I haven't had that much fun sweating in m life. Here the day after I'm feeling sore in all my body. I can't wait to get back though!
spasgur2011-08-09 07:00:27 +0000 #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogWrestler

Grapple, grapple, grapple.

Put youself in bed positions and stay calm while you get your ass kicked. It'll give the experience necessary to remain calm in competitions when you get stuck, and even remain calm when you're winning/dominating but unable to finish. Meditation.

Learn a move and drill it until it's embedded in your head. Then, spar with your eyes shut and see if you're able to "feel" your way into that move.

Forget about "winning" while you spar. There are no winners, and are no losers. It's not a competition and the only goal you have is to get better. So don't worry about "beating" the other guy, focus on your technique.

There's lots more, but hopefully that helps.

Thank you Bulldog. I was really nervous when first we started because I didn't know anything. I panicked a couple of times and lost my nerve. I've been reading around the web for some beginner tips and many say, as you do, that it's not a matter of winning when you spar so I'll try and remember that every time we spar or drill.
dwarfofdoom2011-08-09 06:38:13 +0000 #6
Only bad thing about BJJ is that it is like a drug. So long as you get your fix the rest of your life can fall to pieces and it won't matter.

My advice is roll, roll, roll. Roll when your tired and can barely move, roll when your fresh. Get a variety of rolling in too. Roll hard and fast, roll slow and relaxed, roll with your eyes closed, roll trying to use only one move. Start from your back, from turtle, start from mount etc.

Don't be afraid to ask someone how they caught you, and don't be too proud to tap.

Reply

Name:
Content:


Other posts in this category