Sports FAQ
Home / Mountain Biking

Shimano Rapid Fire Shifter

itself2011-10-08 06:25:38 +0000 #1
I am looking to go to the newest Shimano mtn bike rapid fire shifters. I really like the fact that they have a two way release. This allows the rider to choose between either using the thumb or the index finger.

Shimano's website is a bit confusing. I see the Saint SL shifters, and then the XT and XTR. Is the Saint an entry level? Is XTR still their top of the line?

Thanks!
jessmarimba2011-10-08 06:41:26 +0000 #2
Pretty sure the XTR is still the best. Per fatcyclist's latest reviews, the newest makeover of it is pretty amazing.

I'm on my first bike with SRAM and seem to forget every time I get on the bike how the shifters work
Aggie_Ama2011-10-08 07:04:11 +0000 #3
SRAM convert, mainly because my Gary Fisher had them and now my Specialized has them stock. I do like them better but I had 2006 era Deore on my old bike, so it is really not a good comparison.

XTR is still their top of the line group. According to their website Saint is a downhill/all mountain line. I don't know how that would change the performance.
itself2011-10-08 07:15:23 +0000 #4
I have SRAM on my bike right now (grip shifters), and I am just not impressed. The cassette is loud, and the shifters are clacky and "feel" cheap.

Anyone know the best place to get a good deal on the XTR shifters?

Thanks!
TsPoet2011-10-08 06:53:31 +0000 #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by itself

I have SRAM on my bike right now (grip shifters), and I am just not impressed. The cassette is loud, and the shifters are clacky and "feel" cheap.

Anyone know the best place to get a good deal on the XTR shifters?

Thanks!

What bike you planning on putting these on? I have them (the old style) on my Bacchetta Giro, and they work great . But, I've been told by several people, including the B boys that they won't work on superman bars due to reach and angles.

But, I guess I lucked out - honestly they work great. But, but, you might double check before laying out the cash.
itself2011-10-08 08:49:20 +0000 #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TsPoet

What bike you planning on putting these on? I have them (the old style) on my Bacchetta Giro, and they work great . But, I've been told by several people, including the B boys that they won't work on superman bars due to reach and angles.

But, I guess I lucked out - honestly they work great. But, but, you might double check before laying out the cash.

The ICE B1. I love the bar end shifters on my Bacchetta Ti Aero 24. I can't imagine using a twist/rapid fire on it due to the angle. I think it would be super awkward.
laura*2011-10-08 08:13:15 +0000 #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by itself

Shimano's website is a bit confusing. I see the Saint SL shifters, and then the XT and XTR. Is the Saint an entry level? Is XTR still their top of the line?

Top to bottom of the MTB groups:

XTR, Deore XT, SLX (renamed from Deore LX), Deore, Alivio, Acera, Altus, and Tourney.

Trekking/touring groups:

Deore XT (same as MTB), and the new Deore LX.

Downhill groups:

Saint, and Hone. Saint is somewhere around Deore XT level. Hone (it's been discontinued) was somewhere around Deore LX / Deore.
Catrin2011-10-08 08:29:34 +0000 #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by itself

I have SRAM on my bike right now (grip shifters), and I am just not impressed. The cassette is loud, and the shifters are clacky and "feel" cheap.

Anyone know the best place to get a good deal on the XTR shifters?

Thanks!

Which SRAM shifters do you have? I've X0 on my Gunnar and they are awesome! Until this year X0 was the top of the SRAM mtb line. If they made X0 grips for 10-speed they would be on my mountain bike in a hot second. I certainly prefer the grips over triggers due to some hand issues. I've been told to avoid SRAM below X7.

Reply

Name:
Content:


Other posts in this category