Sports FAQ
Home / Running / Walking

Portland Marathon Race Report

teigyr2010-05-01 16:03:20 +0000 #1
Definitely NOT for the squeamish

The race itself was incredible and I will do it again.

The race was on Sunday. On Thursday, I started feeling like I had a cold. I even cut my run short because I was sweaty and had chills.

On Friday, we drove down there at 11am. It should have been a 3.5 hour drive or so. We were going to go to the expo then eat so all we ate was fast food in the a.m. Due to rain (and why can't PNW people drive in the rain?), there were accidents. It took us close to 8 hours. By the time we got there, I was hungry. I also felt like the cold was coming on stronger. We missed the expo but went out for pizza and I stocked up on orange juice and cold medicine.

On Saturday, I felt a bit better but not much. My lungs were full of mucus and I figured what I needed to do was go to the expo to pick up my race stuff then I'd take cough syrup with expectorant and I would go to bed early. I got to bed early but I couldn't sleep. I didn't want to take cold medicine too late but I ended up taking Nyquil. Every time I tried to sleep, I'd snore because I couldn't breathe then I'd wake up. Grrrrr.

So Saturday night, I didn't sleep much. I was up before the alarm on Sunday. I dutifully had all my stuff packed the night before so there wasn't much thought to my morning. I ate and we walked to the race start. Of course when we got to the race start, THEN I had to go to the bathroom. That was my first of many ventures to the wonderful world of race porta-potties.

As I was at the start, I noticed that two of my gels were punctured! I had to throw them away because they were leaking all over me. I also had only one napkin to blow my nose on, which was unrealistic. As we started, my HRM started to give me grief then the chest band disconnected. As we started, I was busily trying to connect it without flashing too much to the cameras. In the first few miles, I went to get my napkin to blow my nose and I noticed I had scrapes on my arm! My arm was dripping blood (that and it was raining) so I used the napkin to wipe that up. Again, grrrrr.

I felt ok, oddly enough. After around 5 miles though, I had to use the restroom. I think I had some lower GI problems. I had to wait in line yet again and this was during the race. That was the pattern for the next 12 miles.

I still ran ok until around mile 13-14. My sinuses were draining into my lungs and stomach. I coughed and coughed and finally had to walk. At one point I was hanging on to a guard rail because I felt dizzy. It was still raining.

I managed to walk/jog until around mile 17. I started feeling really sick. I wanted to run. My legs wanted to run. I felt GOOD except for feeling sick. I also had breathing problems. I remembered to hydrate but every time I'd try to eat, I'd feel sicker. I tried to eat a few pretzels but since my nose was clogged, I was breathing in pretzel dust and I could only do really small bites.

That was the worst time. I didn't want to walk. I'd hear people cheering "go walkers!" and I didn't train to walk it. I wanted to run. I felt if I could just sit down, maybe I could settle my stomach but everything was wet. I tried to sit on a bench and lean back but people were looking at me funny so I started out walking again. I had to decide if I wanted to reach my goal (ie run the whole thing) or finish. It was difficult but I knew I HAD to finish even if I didn't like how it was happening.

Around mile 20, I was really irked. It was taking longer than I wanted and I still felt sick. If I jogged, it would make my stomach hurt worse. Walking wasn't that much better. I decided at the next porta-potty area, I would take matters into my own hands and if my body wanted to barf, so be it. It would. I ended up gagging up all sorts of colored mucus stuff but oddly enough afterwards, I felt better! I ran. I ran, in fact, until the finish. I finished strong.

I still can't breathe. I'm on cold medicine still and my run tights are covered with snot as is my shirt and the back of my number. It's an icky color. My legs don't hurt, the only thing that hurts are my stomach muscles from coughing.

I'm happy. I finished in 6 hrs, 18 seconds. I could've been SO much faster. My average increased by over 3 min/mile after my semi-barf session. I love the distance. I love that course. It was my first marathon. My immune system needs a kick to the backside but I do know I did the best I could do under the circumstances.

Next year. Poor DH now has the cold. It isn't pleasant.

Oh and I'd say it was the most difficult thing I've done but the only thing that made it so was being sick. After mile 20, I had the pleasure of passing TONS of people. That was nice.

Still irks me though. I could've done much more had I not been sick. I guess at least I finished.

suzieqtwa2010-05-01 16:10:00 +0000 #2

I did it 3 years ago ,and it wasn't raining. I also trained to run,but after I hit the hill to the St. Johns bridge my legs quit functioning. I think I walked about 2 of the 26 miles. I beat myself up for a year having had to walk just the small amount I did ,but now I know what great accomplishment it was. I thought about everyone this morning when I woke up to cold ,and rain.

Great Job!!!! It took me 5 hours.

I bet you will sleep well tonight.
salsabike2010-05-01 16:09:05 +0000 #3
"At least", my butt. You just did your first marathon with a new cold!! Most of us would be whining around the house clutching our kleenex and cup of tea. YOU ran your first marathon! And you finished it. That is amazing in my book. Yeah, Teigyr! Nothing like good, steady, serious, quiet training to stand you in good stead.
LBTC2010-05-01 16:58:10 +0000 #4
Teigyr! You totally rock! That was a huge ordeal and you pulled through the whole thing!! Good for you! You are an inspiration.

I can't imagine running, I can totally not imagine running a marathon! Running a marathon in the rain with a cold - that blows my mind.

Hugs and butterflies,

michelem2010-05-01 17:19:38 +0000 #5
Wow, teigyr! You finished in one piece! Way to go!

Now, take care of yourself, okay?
Grog2010-05-01 17:50:35 +0000 #6
Wow. I'm blown away by your perseverance there. Congratulations! I hope you have a great REST now!!
Aggie_Ama2010-05-01 16:46:36 +0000 #7
That was some true grit and determination- way to go. Now rest, drink tea, take care of the other patient.
kacie tri-ing2010-05-01 17:48:25 +0000 #8

I am so impressed that you finish. I think that clearly the mental preparation of training for the marathon must have prepared you for that incredible challenge.

I have been worried about rain. I feel like even though my marathon is in Florida...and even though we have been in a drought for a couple of years....and it has only rained once in the past ten years...I am still worried!

I am so impressed and inspired by your journey through your first marathon. You should be so proud of yourself! Rest and enjoy your accomplishment!



Other posts in this category