Sports FAQ
Home / Running / Walking

My 1st half marathon!!! good times!!! :)

froglegs2010-05-01 22:12:56 +0000 #1
It was in Carlsbad, my sister lives in San Diego so my husband and a friend went with me and we made a weekend of it. I spent Saturday being the DD for the 3 of them, then dragged everyone home by 10 to go to bed early. My pre-race sleep was interrupted by their midnight pizza binge and early morning laughing fits, but I did manage to get some sleep and by 5am I was tossing and turning. Then I fell asleep and woke up about 15 minutes later than I had planned on.

Interestingly enough, the hung over people were ready before I was. I got out of the car at about 7:10 (race started at 7:30) and headed straight for the port-a-potty line, which of course was ridiculously long. It was 37 degrees and I had already stripped down to my shorts and t-shirt because I knew I would be warm after the first mile.....but waiting in that line I was rather cold. And did I mention the line was long? While I (finally) took my turn in the port-a-potty, the race started. I got out and jogged to the starting area (that was my warmup) and joined the back of the pack, and it was still a good 5 minutes before I passed the starting line and started running.

As predicted, I was warm after a mile, except for my hands, which took another mile or so to warm up. I settled into a nice easy pace and enjoyed the really awesome atmosphere. A little after the 3 mile marker, the leaders passed (at mile 10) and everyone cheered. I felt great for the first several miles, went up a small hill, hit the turnaround, and started back.

At about 8 miles, I was starting to feel it. I started getting the usual pains in my feet and knees, and then my hips. Mile 10-12 was quite a struggle. After the 12 marker, the adrenaline kicked in and I finished strong.

After that my legs turned to jelly. I waddled over to return my chip, then waddled out of the finishing area and (surprisingly easily) found my entourage. Then I had to sit down for a few minutes and scarf down some food.

My chip time was 2:33:01, near BOP for sure, but it was my first half marathon, and I started my training having never run more than 4 miles, and that was 9 weeks before the race, so I am definitely happy with my accomplishment. I'm ready to sign up for another one (when I figure out where to fit it around my triathlons) and my sister even suggested that we do one together later this year! Next time, however, I will train for more than 9 weeks, and I will actually consume some calories on the run.

teigyr2010-05-01 22:26:27 +0000 #2
SO exciting! You look so happy also. I'm amazed it didn't hurt worse than it did.

It just dawned on me I have to make the hotel reservations for mine. It's a surreal feeling, like it's really going to happen.

Thank you so much for your post! It makes me feel better and not quite so nervous. Did you run the whole way? What about the water stops, are you graceful enough to drink and run? (I am thinking I'm not.) I'm toying with the idea of experimenting with gel or shot bloks on my runs now just to make sure I can tolerate them.
nonsmoker32010-05-01 22:46:05 +0000 #3
Froglegs - That is so cool! Congrats on a great race. You have inspired me to sign up for one on May.

Thanks for the report and pictures!
OakLeaf2010-05-01 22:43:31 +0000 #4
Way to go! It sounds (and looks!) like you had great fun.

No warmup is a bugger for sure, especially with the weather that cold. I was just thinking about what time I'm going to set my alarm for tomorrow...
froglegs2010-05-01 23:22:28 +0000 #5
I did run the whole way without stopping, although I slowed down (from my already slow pace) during the water stops. They had them every mile, and every 2 miles they had Ultima. I drank at most of them (Ultima when possible, even though it didn't taste very good) and for the last few miles I was grabbing two cups per stop. At the first stop I spilled cold water all over myself, so after that I figured out that I spilled less if I squeezed the cup and drank from the resulting spout. I definitely recommend taking a gel or whatever you can handle.

The experience was very similar to getting my tattoo in that while it was happening (or at least during miles 10-12) I was thinking that there is no way I will ever subject myself to this again......... but as soon as I was finished I was ready to sign up for another one.
limewave2010-05-01 23:55:14 +0000 #6
Congratulations! It sounds like you did great. That 10-12 mile segment is always the worst. Glad you were able to push through!



Other posts in this category